When we buy a product or service, we open ourselves to both positive and negative customer experiences. In the case of the latter, you’ll want to share your negative experience and have your voice heard. Online reviews, feedback and complaints are becoming increasingly influential in the success and popularity of a company. However, we are not always familiar with how best to write a complaint. Consider our five tips to writing an impactful online complaint.
5 tips when you file a complaint online
- Create a draft copy before submitting your final online complaint to ensure you have taken the time to consider everything you would like to include
- Keep your goal in mind; what do you hope to achieve from this complaint? For example, to warn others from suffering the same negative experience as you, or as ‘leverage’ in a discussion of compensation
- Appeal to the readers and be sure not to use your complaint submission as an opportunity to vent your frustration
- Include and share copies of correspondence you have had with the company; reference previous communications and provide proof with attachments where possible e.g. Proof of purchase, or a record of e-mail conversations. This will ensure your complaint is taken seriously
- Try to keep your complaint concise and yet comprehensive. Address the following questions within your online complaint.
Complaint letter template
There are certain questions that you must ask yourself to come to a good complaint. Answer and process the questions below, and you will see that you have written the perfect complaint.
- What problem did occur and what is your complaint about?
- When did this take place and was anyone else involved?
- What exactly went wrong?
- How have you been affected by what has happened?
- What outcome do you hope to achieve?
- Is there anything else you would like to mention that may be relevant to your complaint?
If you finally have your complaint in writing, you must of course still submit it. We recommend doing this in various ways:
- The company’s official complaints procedure
- Social Media; Facebook, Twitter …..
- An online Complaint Platform as Complain.biz